EVENT UPDATE: 7:00 pm, Tuesday, February 5:
After much careful consideration, the organizers of the 2019 FIS Snowboard, Freestyle and Freeski World Championships have taken the decision to cancel the snowboard big air competition. This decision was based on the weather forecast and with the best interests of the athletes in mind, plus the remaining events scheduled to take place. The snowboard big air finals were due to take place at Canyons Village at Park City Mountain on Tuesday, February 5.
Taking into account all relevant factors, including the weather forecast for the next 24 hours in Park City, the organizing committee (US Ski + Snowboard, International Ski Federation [FIS], Park City Mountain and a number of related agencies), took the regrettable decision to cancel the event. “There is an awful lot of snow coming in to Park City in the next 24 hours, and the temperatures are dropping fast” said Calum Clark, Chair of the 2019 FIS Snowboard, Freestyle and Freeski World Championships Organizing Committee. “This means that we have had to take the toughest of decisions, cancelling one of the headline events of these World Championships. We looked in detail at every option open to us, but the Organizing Committee agreed unanimously that the safety of the athletes taking part in the competition is our primary concern, as is the smooth running of the rest of the schedule. Despite this news, we have five more days of incredible action to look forward to, and many more World Champions to crown.”
The 2019 World Championships in Snowboard, Freestyle and Freeski will be held in the Wasatch Mountains from February 1-10, 2019. Three of Utah’s world-renowned resorts – Park City Mountain Resort, Deer Valley Resort and Solitude Mountain Resort – will play host to what is expected to be the strongest World Championships ever attracting over 700 athletes from 36 nations. The FIS World Championships are held every two years, attracting the world’s best athletes to determine titles in an array of events larger than the Olympic Winter Games. The World Championships will entail some of the most exciting disciplines in the sport. Never before have all of these sports come together in such an historic location!
Utah will showcase a record 15 World Championship medal events in both genders over 10 days. They will be held on seven different competition venues at the three resorts. Two events will be contested for the first time at World Championships, big air skiing and team aerials, following approvals this past week by the FIS Congress. It will be the largest international event in Utah since the 2002 Olympic Winter Games.
Canyons Village at Park City Mountain will be home to the opening ceremonies and big air skiing on Saturday, February 2nd and big air snowboarding on Tuesday, February 5th. All events in Canyons Village will be free, open to the public and will take place at night under the lights.
Interested in volunteering? Click here.
2019 World Championships Schedule of Events:
(subject to change)
- Friday, February 1
- 11:00 am: Snowboardcross, Solitude Mountain Resort
- Saturday, February 2
- 1:00 pm: Skicross, Solitude Mountain Resort
- Opening ceremony, big air skiing and fireworks, Canyons Village at Park City Mountain
- 6:00 pm: Opening Ceremonies
- 7:00 pm: Big air skiing final
- 9:00 pm: Live music with The Main Squeeze
- 9:45 pm: Grand fireworks display
- Sunday, February 3
- 11:00 am: Team snowboardcross, Solitude Mountain Resort
- Monday, February 4
- 1:00 pm: Parallel giant slalom snowboard, Park City Mountain
- Tuesday, February 5
- 1:00 pm: Parallel slalom snowboard, Park City Mountain
- Big air snowboarding, Canyons Village at Park City Mountain – Canceled
- Wednesday, February 6
- 11:00 am: Slopestyle skiing, Park City Mountain
- 7:00 pm: Freestyle aerials, Deer Valley Resort
- Thursday, February 7
- 7:00 pm: Freestyle team aerials, Deer Valley Resort
- Friday, February 8
- 11:00 am: Halfpipe snowboarding, Park City Mountain
- 7:00 pm: Freestyle moguls, Deer Valley Resort
- Saturday, February 9
- 11:00 am: Halfpipe skiing, Park City Mountain
- 7:00 am: Dual moguls, Deer Valley Resort
- Sunday, February 10
- 11:00 am: Slopestyle snowboarding, Park City Mountain
- 4:00 pm: Closing ceremonies, street party and concert by Lupe Fiasco, Historic Main Street, Park City